rsa.esq
rsa.esq, Lawyer
Experience:  Sworn to the California Bar in 2011. Former staff editor at The New York Times Co. and seasoned news professional of 20 years experience in the U.S. and abroad.
70205316

In 2014 i got a speeding ticket in Hearne, TX. Took

Customer Question

in 2014 i got a speeding ticket in Hearne, TX. Took Defensive Dirving, submitted the driver recrd and today I got a letter from an attorney saying I need to pay $186.00. Call the Hearne Municpal COurt talked to Peggy, would not give me her last anme, and said I did it backwards and took defensive driving BEFORE i got permission from judge. WHat can I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  rsa.esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm scott: Although I cannot provide specific legal advice to specific legal questions, I can address legal isses generally and hypothetical scenarios.

Now, more bad news , I'm afraid: the general process in most systems is to go to court for the ticket, and before being "sentenced," ask the court if the driver can do something to mitigate, like a DD course, and have the ticket vitiated so it does not affect thinks like insurance rates.

And of course whether a court permits that is entirely in their discretion.

No consolation, but I think well of the initiative, and the court and solicitor might also.

If I encountered such a situation, I would probably contact the solicitor's office directly and explain the situation and see if he'll agree to accept the driving course and make a joint presentation asking the court accept it as well as well.

And frankly, it's not likely to work, but there is nothing to lose with that approach.

Good Luck!