Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

I received a speeding ticket which originally was around

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket which originally was around $200 - I had set a court date to fight it, I had legitimate cause but between me setting the date and the actual court date, my entire world came crashing down. I was laid off, put on disability, caught my fiance cheating and was kicked out of my home (to move the other woman in), had to move back in with my mother 100+ miles away and was hospitalized. My original plan was to fight it and just received a forwarded notice (my mail just started to be forwarded last week) that the dmv plans to suspend my license oct 24 - I STILL WANT TO FIGHT it I was just completely sideswiped in life...
ANy way I can possibly still do this? I have been looking for work (territory account executive) but will be looked over repeatedly for this point on my license... it threatens my entire career and I am freaking out (in addition to 20+ bills piling up).
Any help i appreciated!!
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that you've been through so much.

Yes, you can still fight it. Call the clerk of the traffic court and ask her to put you back on the calendar. They'll give you a court date. You should be able to get on the calendar before 10/24. Once you're in court, you can explain to the judge what happened, apologize profusely, and ask that your license not be suspended. If they issued a bench warrant when you didn't appear, you can request that it be revoked (that's a routine request - they should do it). At that point, you'll be allowed to plead not guilty on the ticket and request a trial. You'll be given a second court date, and then you'll be able to go back with all your evidence.

If you prefer not to have to drive to the courthouse twice (or you can't), then your options are to pay the ticket and request traffic school to keep the points off your record or to ask the DA to lower the fine in exchange for a guilty plea. As long as you haven't been to traffic school in the last 18 months, you should be eligible, although some people may prefer to wait and use it if they get a ticket when they don't have a defense.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lucy, thanks but the ticket is in collections (hence the suspended license).
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you call the clerk of the traffic court? You should still be able to file a Motion to Remove Default and fight it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they told me to call the collection agency which I did but the soonest they could fit me in was nov 5th. The 24th is when I lose my license.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

There isn't any way to avoid having your license suspended without paying the ticket. If you choose to fight the ticket, then you won't legally be able to drive from Oct. 24 - Nov. 5. I'm not saying that you shouldn't fight it, but be aware that you may have to make other transportation arrangements until you can get it taken care of.