Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I got a ticket yesterday with an expired licensein MI. The

Customer Question

I got a ticket yesterday for driving with an expired licensein MI. The license has expired 28 days ago. And in the ticket, the officer checked misdemaneur not CI. This is besides the speeding ticket he gave me and was the reason he pulled me over. I need to know what are the consequences and if I have to appear to court. Thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

The police officer checked the box marked misdemeanor because driving on a suspended license is a criminal offense. It is a misdemeanor which can, but usually doesn't, involve jail time and will involve an additional suspension of your license upon conviction.

Driving on a suspended license, because it is a misdemeanor, is a charge on which you will have to appear in court. If you fail to do so , A warrant will issue for your arrest.

Do you live in Michigan? If so plan on coming to court. If not and you live far enough away so that you cannot be there, you would need to have a lawyer appear on your behalf to prevent a warrant from issuing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is suspended license the same as expired?.. Mine was not suspended for any reason. I just passes the expiration date by 28 days without even noticing..
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

An expired license is different from a suspended license, but they are covered by the same misdemeanor offense. Whether your license is expired, revoked, or suspended you have no right to drive.

If you can get your license reinstated by your court date, maybe the prosecutor will dismiss this charge. Otherwise, you will have to fight the case, and hope that the district attorney cannot prove that you had to have known that your license had expired.