Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I received a speeding ticket a few weeks back and i realized

Customer Question

Hey, i received a speeding ticket a few weeks back and i realized it said that the speed was an infraction however it also said i was an unlicensed driver and the police officer circled the misdemeanor, however i had a permit and a legal California driver with me at the time, should this cause any issues when i go to court?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Regrettably, it would. However, that part of the ticket should be easily disposed off when you show the Court your permit and that there was a legal California Driver in the car with you at the time the ticket was issued.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you say show the court my permit do you mean before my court date or during my court date? The problem is the officer ticked no under the correctable violation box for the unlicensed driver thing so that worries me, however I did have a valid permit and licensed driver with me at the time. What should I do ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also even though I have a permit and licensed driver and everything what's the worst thing that could happen in terms of punishment ? This is my first time ever getting a traffic ticket and am also new to the country.

If you have a valid permit and a licensed driver with you at the time of ticket, then you should show up on the Court date and show the Court that you did have a permit and a licensed driver with you at the time the ticket was issued and ask that the ticket be dismissed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a valid permit at the time but I had forgotten it at home during the time I got the ticket, the officer ran my name through the system though and found it, the licensed driver with me did have his license physically on him at the time though, so I should still go to court and ask it to be dismissed right, I had a valid permit just that I had forgotten it at home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond when you get time, thanks again.

Yes, that is correct. You need to show that you had a valid permit because the Officer ran it and confirmed that you had it and you also had a valid licensed driver with you who showed the Officer his license.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I think I got the confidence I need, what are the chances of getting this dismissed if I may ask?

I really do not like to speculate. However, based on the information that you have given here on your posts, the chances are very good.

Goodluck with the hearing!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the court refuses to dismiss it what punishment could they give me ? Like what are the possible punishments

You may fined and/or be given opportunity to attend traffic school.

Kindly use the link below to figure out what your penalty would be:

http://www.ca.gov/Driving/LawsSafety/TrafficFines.html

At this time, I request that you give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your questions.