How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 33292
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am active duty with orders to relocate from Texas to

Customer Question

I am active duty with orders to relocate from Texas to Kansas. I am a Texas state resident so I do not intend to change over my license plate (I will keep TX plates). In Texas, we have DV (disabled veteran) plates for those who are over a certain percentage disabled. I noticed KS also offers disabled veteran plates for those who meet the criteria. Will I be afforded the same perks with Tx DV plates as those disabled veterans in Kansas if I keep my Tx plates? For instance, not having to pay for state parking or handicap parking rights...
Also, am I allowed to keep my Texas drivers license or am I required to get a Kansas Drivers license despite being active duty and being a Tx state resident? I know you are suppose to have an updated address on you license so Im not sure if you are able to put another states address on your license...
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

While on active duty, you rate the protections of the service members civil relief act. This law provides, among other things, that you can maintain your state of residence regardless of where the military may send you.

So you can keep your TX plates if you problem with that at all.

But if your goal is get benefits afforded to residents of KS (KS has similar benefits as TX) you will need to become a resident of KS.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you that KS has to recognize your Texas disabled vet status, but I can only provide you information based on the law so that you can act on the best available information to you...I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!
Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So a handicap license plate from one state is not recognized in other states?

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

This depends on the state. Generally speaking a plate that indicates you have a disability would be valid for parking in a sister state.

But what you are describing is a totally separate matter...

States can make certain benefits available to residents (for example, free admission to parks) and are not required to make the same benefits available to non residents.

Again, sorry to be the one to bear bad news