Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Scottsdale AZ. On the last day of our vacation, mid July

Customer Question

Scottsdale AZ. On the last day of our vacation, mid July 2015, on the way to the airport, I was was flash by a speed camera. I was driving a rental car. Avis wrote to me early August, informing me they had provided my address to the authorities and charged my credit card a service fee of $30. They advised not to ignore the advisory and expect authorities to write to me by end August. To date I have received no correspondence from the authorities. However , I am a UK citizen resident in Scotland. I have been vacationing in USA for 17 years and wish to return to Arizona. I do not wish fine hanging over me or my family. How do I check if this is still an open case? I have tried entering my name to Scottsdale court websites but nothing is found. If liable I would be happy to pay a fine from UK if there was a mechanism to pay.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. DID AVIS SEND YOU A COPY OF THE CITATION?

2. IF NOT, CAN YOU STILL CONTACT THEM AND ASK THEM TO EMAIL OR FAX IT TO YOU?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Avis site shows a copy of the notice of violation. I assume they have sent this back to Scottsdale police with my driver details. Notice states speed recorded (65) and limit (50) and at the bottom states "no fine associated with this notice". Tried to log into "Violationinfo.com" with notice number and associated pin but get message "not a valid notice".
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the police department did not bother to enter the notice into its system because the registered owner of the car is a rental car company. The ticket won't legally hold up unless the traffic camera photo matches the picture on the driver's license of the vehicle's registered owner. But because Avis is the registered owner, it could [but does not have to] identify you as the driver and if the camera photo picture matches, they could legally prosecute on this ticket. It is rumored that they do not do so until you have 3 violations.

If you want to clear this up, first contact Avis and ask if they actually reported you. If they did, then mail a letter to the police department with a copy of the citation asking them why it does not appear in the system and what you need to do to resolve the matter.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.