Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I live in NC, visiting in NY an received my first ticket in

Customer Question

I live in NC, visiting in NY an received my first ticket in 45 years for going straight in a right turn lane. Best advice?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unlike NC, where you can do a plea as a first offender, if you are a visitor to NY you are going to have to go to court and plead not guilty and hope for a friendly prosecutor who will in most all cases give you what is called an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal under NY criminal procedure law 170.55. This is where they make you pay the fine and then if you have no other violations in NY it is not reported to DMV in NC and it is dismissed in 12 months. It will cost you about $300 for an attorney and the fine may be about $200 total with fees and costs, but it would not go on your driving record and would not cause an increase in your insurance rates. The downside being from out of town is you do need an attorney to make an appearance in court to do that for you and you cannot do it by mail. Your attorney will start by pleading the case you are a visitor and got confused in the traffic and sometimes a good prosecutor will dismiss it completely, if not then the adjournment in contemplation would be negotiated and usually granted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you rep me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would you rep mean

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry to say that state law forbids us from representing anyone from this site, so you would need to get a local traffic law attorney there to do so and you can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com