Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My brother 36 ran into parked car he had been drinking. He

Customer Question

My brother 36 ran into parked car he had been drinking. He left the scene went home the police went to his house he then told them his wife had been driving. She was fined and lost her license What should we do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Who is "we" with regard to this case? And what is it that you would like to accomplish? Has the wife pled guilty to this charge and been convicted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We refers to my family. This happened last night she was ticketed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should he tell the truth?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

If he tells the truth to the police, he may or may not be believed, and he also can potentially get charged with providing false information to the police. It is his call as to whether he wants to do this, but the right thing to do ethically is not necessarily the wisest thing to do, in that by confessing he will cost himself a defense to the charge.

If he is interested in turning himself in on this, it might be better for him to let a lawyer handle this for him and cut some kind of a deal where he can admit to the hit and run but avoid any other charges and get his wife off the hook. If, on the other hand, he's not interested in giving himself up and subjecting himself to a hit and run charge and the possibility of the false information charge, and the wife is angry and willing to testify against him, she or other members of the family can give this information to her defense lawyer, and he can take matters from there.