CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

My 17 year old t a car from behind and totalled our car. The

Customer Question

My 17 year old hit a car from behind and totalled our car. The car in front of her stopped suddenly with no signal or warning (they were both doing 35-40 mph. The state trooper issued her a following too closely ticket and we have court tomorrow. Of course I had her plead not guilty because he didn't witness the accident. Not only did my insurance double, my policy was not renewed , my car was totalled and I owe the bank mone. Do I have a chance at winning this case?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially the driver said she was pulling into her driveway but then when I arrived at the scene she said She was not pulling into a driveway as she said that she was on the way to a doctor appointment, was running late, and admitted to not using a signal.
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. A driver is required to keep a safe distance between their vehicle and the one in front of them. Even though the driver may have stopped for no reason and caught your 17 year old off guard, they should have kept a safe distance, for this very reason. Unless the driver reversed into your 17 year old, the court is likely going to find them at fault, unless they have a legal basis/defense to justify the accident. However, if the driver of the other vehicle fails to appear at the trial, then the case will be dismissed, since there is nobody to testify against your 17 year old and the Officer arrived after the fact and did not witness anything.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!