Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

Does Art. 1 sect. 18 of the texas constitution which says

Customer Question

Does Art. 1 sect. 18 of the texas constitution which says you cannot be jailed for owing money apply to fines assessed by municipal corporations?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Article 1, Section 18 of the Texas Constitution states:

"Sec. 18. IMPRISONMENT FOR DEBT. No person shall ever be imprisoned for debt."

This includes debt to both private creditors and government agencies. So yes, one cannot be jailed for owing past taxes to the municipality or county.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.