Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

This is a drivers license problem. I am requesting

Customer Question

This is a drivers license problem. I am requesting information for my adult son. He lived in Louisiana for several years but now lives in Michigan. He had unpaid traffic tickets and fines in Louisiana and his drivers license was suspended. He has paid the tickets and fines....several years ago and still can not get a drivers license because Louisiana will not release his license. There is no information on the Louisiana license to why he can't get his licence released.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he has paid all fines and has proof of payment, then he has to pay a license reinstatement fee to Louisiana, even if he no longer lives there, to get them to reinstate his license. Once his license reinstatement fee is paid, then the hold is released. He can file a motion to waive reinstatement fee with the LA DMV and they will consider his request since he no longer resides in LA. If they refuse to waive the reinstatement fee, he will need to pay to reinstate his LA license and then he could obtain a license in another state.