CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I have applied fore renewal of my DMV california driving

Customer Question

I have applied fore renewal of my DMV california driving license by mail, and have not received the renewed license yet, My license expires next week, I know i cannot drive with an expired license. Is there a way i can get a temporary license or something
? what are my options ?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In California, there is no grace period for an expired driver's license. You must apply for a renewal of your driver's license at least 60 days before it expires because the DMV could take up to 60 days to mail you the new license. You cannot drive a vehicle if your driver's license has expired. Your option at this point would be to go to the DMV in person, show them evidence to show your renewed it by mail and see if they can give you a status update or possible issue you one in person, so there will be no lapse.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read on DMV website that people who renew get a temppraray license that is valid for 90 days? Is that incorrect?

It may be something which is issued in person. As such, you would need to go to the DMV and show then you submitted for the renewal and see if they will issue it. It is very possible that you will get the license before it expires but to be on the safe side, can make an appoint and appear to get one issued. I take it this is what you read and it was from 2011, so you need to verify the policy is still in effect.

https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/newsrel11/2011_03