Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I WAS AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT STOPPED LIGHT TURNED. TRAFFIC

Customer Question

I WAS AT A TRAFFIC LIGHT STOPPED LIGHT TURNED GREEN. TRAFFIC STARTED TO MOVE NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED BY TIME I REALIZED CAR IN FRONT OF ME STOPPED I TAPPED IN BACK END CALLED POLICE FILED REPORT. DISMISSED TO LEAVE A WEEK LATER RECEIVED A TICKET AND COURT APPEARANCE FOR CARELESS DRIVING?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the driver of a vehicle is liable to operate a vehicle in a manner so as to not cause any contact with another vehicle. The driver is to maintain control of their vehicle and pay attention to surroundings at all times. So, as happens many times, a light turning green means the driver still has to look for vehicles in front of them and failure to be paying full attention is considered careless. The evidence of not paying attention is that the accident occurred, since it is the driver's duty to have avoided that accident.

The good news is if your insurance is taking care of any damage and if the other driver does not show up in court, if you plead not guilty, then then prosecutor will almost always dismiss the citation. So you need to plead not guilty, go to court, if the other driver does not show up or not you ask for a conference with the prosecutor and show them proof your insurer will be taking care of the damage and the prosecutor will usually dismiss. At the most, if you ask the prosecutor and they are not willing to dismiss, they will reduce it to a non-moving violation so you can pay a fine without it impacting your driving record as a non-moving violation does not go against your license.