Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
12176198

Rec'd ticket. At the time, driving on 2 lane hwy at approx

Customer Question

Hi. Rec'd ticket for 24250VC. At the time, driving on 2 lane hwy at approx 9P. Pulled over by CHP. Told tail lights out. CHP verified that brake lights worked and that headlights worked and that light switch was turned to "on" position. He would not let me out of the vehicle. After he left me (on the side of the dark hwy, he passed by three more times while I worked on my car in the dark - no doubt waiting for me to pull away so he could write another ticket. I know - it's not relevant. Except he's a jerk.). That said, I was able to re-wire the lights to get home, then later verify that the light-control module was broken. I had it replaced. I would like to challenge the ticket. Obviously hoping that hopalong Cassidy doesn't show up. That said, what's the best thing to say to the judge?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
Sorry to hear about your ticket and Hopalong. Is the "correctable violation" box on your ticket checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish, but no. While Hopalong was doing his thing, I dug under my dash to look at my fuses. I was using my cell phone as light. When he came back, he accused me of "videoing him." Our "relationship" went downhill from there.
He sounds delightful.
Unfortunately, it is hard to out and out beat a traffic ticket because the law is so simple and straightforward in that arena. With your ticket, the question is, were all your lights functional? Because the answer is no, the inquiry generally stops there. The only typical defense in these cases is that no, you didn't do whatever you are being accused of. There are not useful defenses like intent and things like there are with regular criminal charges, unfortunately, which makes defending against them a lot harder.
That being said, I think that even if the judge won't acquit you in this case, he or she should cut the fine considerably if you bring the proof to court that you had the light repaired. I think the judge will probably be wondering why a fix-it ticket was not given in this case, and so (particularly if you have a decent driving record), it is likely the judge will cut you a break of some sort if you bring that documentation.