Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My name is craig i recently got pulled over by a police

Customer Question

Hi my name is ***** ***** recently got pulled over by a police officer and he gave me a careless driving ticket no accident though but he did not mark the box court appearance required what should i do. I also have only 2 points on my license of careless driving from a previous accident i had 4 months ago
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
If you want to appear in court, you check not guilty on the ticket and send it back. They will send you a court date and you can go in and fight the case. If you'd rather just pay the fine and incur another two points, you can do that by pleading guilty and sending in the fine listed on the ticket.
As to which choice you should do, that depends on whether or not you have a decent defense to the charge and good supporting evidence. If the police officer fails to show up, the judge can dismiss your case. If he's there, on the other hand, it's going to be his word against yours. Since traffic matters are administrative and not criminal cases, the state does not have to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. If the officer's word is one syllable more believable than yours, you will lose the case.
Traffic tickets are revenue-producing matters. The deck is heavily stacked in favor of the state.