Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

What is the statues of limitation on a ticket registration

Customer Question

what is the statues of limitation on a ticket for expired registration in az Citation c00070346 this occurred in 2007 and we didn't keep any records from this far back. They want 523.00 dollars from my daughter and I'm sure this was paid
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: See Arizona Revised Statutes Title 28 Section 28-1601 especially subsections C through D for Statute of Limitations on traffic tickets, which depends on certain conditions being met:
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/ars/28/01601.htm&Title=28&DocType=ARS
"…C. Notwithstanding subsection A of this section, the court shall not initiate collection procedures on an unpaid civil penalty, notify the department to suspend a person's driver license, permit or privilege to drive a motor vehicle in this state or notify the department to refuse to renew a vehicle registration for an unpaid civil traffic violation if all of the following apply:
1. The unpaid civil penalty is for a traffic violation for which the final disposition occurs more than thirty-six months before the court initiates collection proceedings.
2. The court does not have a paper or electronic record dated within thirty-six months after the traffic violation occurs indicating that the responsible person was notified that the civil penalty is unpaid and due.
3. The court has not notified the department to suspend the responsible person's driver license or permit or privilege to drive a motor vehicle in this state.
4. The court has not notified either the responsible person or the department about the court's request to the department to refuse to renew the responsible person's vehicle registration pursuant to article 5 of this chapter.
5. The court does not have a record of extending the time for payment of the civil penalty or providing for installment payments.
D. If the court is prohibited from initiating collection procedures on an unpaid civil penalty, from notifying the department to suspend a person's driver license, permit or privilege to drive a motor vehicle in this state or from notifying the department to refuse to renew a vehicle registration, pursuant to subsection C of this section, the court shall notify the department and the department shall remove the violation from the person's driving record..."

If you do not have evidence that this ticket was paid, it makes it very difficult for you to dispute the fee.