Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Private practice
7286322

Ticketed driving Ran into a vehicles that had blow a tire on

Customer Question

Ticketed for reckless driving Ran into a vehicles that had blow a tire on I-40. Have a court date . What penalties do I face.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts to opt out of participation in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this. If convicted, one can face: " imprisonment for not less than five days nor more than ninety days, or by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00) nor more than one hundred dollars ($100), or both and on a second or subsequent conviction by imprisonment for not less than ten days nor more than six months, or by a fine of not less than fifty dollars ($50.00) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or both." NM Stat § 66-8-113.
Chances of actually getting jail time are slim for first time offenders.
Also, the prosecutor may offer a deferred sentence, which means probation without conviction in the end if the probation is completed successfully. This is not a right but is an option in many first time, non-violent charges.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.