Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

I have a 2011 sonata. still under warranty in nys. 68000

Customer Question

i have a 2011 sonata. still under warranty in nys. 68000 miles. 5 times in shop this time its over 30 days alone. what am i allowed. thanks
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you, but I believe I have information which you will find helpful.
You may qualify under the so-called Lemon Law and be entitled to a repurchase or replacement from the manufacturer (not the dealer) if:
1. three or more repair attempts and the problem continues to exist; OR
2. the car is out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of 15 days or more (although unavailability of parts may extend this time).
Once that happens, you need to contact the manufacturer's customer service division to apply for arbitration. You will find the number in you owner's manual.
They say the process can take around 10 days for a decision, but my experience has been that it will be closer to a month. There are attorneys who handle these types of claims, but you can do it yourself, at least to start.
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem.
Thank you.