Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

My son, 17 years old, just got a ticket an officer and

Customer Question

My son, 17 years old, just got a ticket for tailgating an officer and cutting in and out. My son was saying the officer said he would need to pay around $400 then he would not need to go to the court.What can we expect?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in TN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is under the violation: reckless driving
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will he need to turn in his license?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the specific code that he is cited with violating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24.13
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Reckless driving will be 6 points on his license. Drivers less than eighteen (18) years of age that accumulate six or more points on their driving record within any twelve (12) month period are sent a notice of proposed suspension from the Department of Safety and are placed in the Driver Improvement Program. The driver will be required to attend an administrative hearing, with their parent or guardian present, to discuss the points assigned to their driving record. Certain actions could be imposed based on the outcome of the hearing and the number of points accumulated on the driver's record. The actions could include a suspension of his license for 3 to 6 months and having to attend a Drive Improvement Program.

Reckless driving is such a subjective charge that if you hired a local traffic attorney, you might have a good chance of getting it reduced. If you try to fight the charge without a lawyer, it may be difficult to get it reduced. The fine can be up to $500.