Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My son had s drivers license suspended because he can't pay

Customer Question

My son had his drivers license suspended because he can't pay his child support in Oregon. He needs his license to drive his little girl here in Ca. to appointments, church, etc. Is there a way to get a restricted license?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that for a child support suspension it is very hard to obtain and if your son had an Oregon license he could qualify under Oregon DMV Rule(###) ###-####(10) and (11) which does allow someone who has had their license suspended to prove a significant hardship in making payments of their obligation of support for ONLY 6 Months and at the end of 6 months he either has to make full payments or his license will be suspended and no hardship license can be granted. See: http://www.oregonchildsupport.gov/laws/rules/docs/055_4420.pdf
However, if your son has a CA license, the CA law says they will not issue any hardship license if a license has been suspended for back child support. So if your son has a CA license they will not grant a hardship license and he would have to have an attorney in Oregon work out some type of payment deal with Oregon to agree to release his license.