Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I got a ticket in Tennessee moving over to the left lane

Customer Question

I got a ticket in Tennessee for not moving over to the left lane when they had a car pulled over on the right. My argument would be with heavy traffic and semis in front of me, by the time I saw the cop I could not move over to the left. Though I believe it would be the right thing to do. They can't say that this is always going to be possible.
Also then he wrote me up for not having my insurance card on me even though we were in a rent a car. My insurance will cover it but I thought all rentals had the minimum liability coverage. Never the less they won't let me send them a copy of my insurance they say I must show up in person. I live in Texas I really don't have the time to go to Tennessee and it would probably cost me more.
Just looking for some options. I feel that I got robed in Tennessee.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The "move over law" states you are to move to the left or substantially decrease your speed. So if you can argue that there was heavy traffic and it was not safe to move over, but you did significantly decrease your speed, that is a defense. However, this would require you to plead not guilty and either appear in court yourself or hire an attorney in TN to represent you (generally they charge about $300).
For a rental car, you are primarily liable for having insurance and if you present proof there was insurance coverage, the court will dismiss the charge, but again, it requires an appearance in court and since you have grounds to fight both citations you should do so either in person or using a local attorney in TN. Those are your two options if you do not wish to pay the citations.