LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

False Name On Drivers License Application In 1997 my sister

Customer Question

False Name On Drivers License Application
In 1997 my sister obtained a legal drivers license from the DMV by using her friend's birth certificate and social security card. Fast forward to late 2014, and my sister was notified by the fraud unit of the DMV that there was a discrepancy with her license. She went down and spoke with an officer, signed a document stating that it was her on the license and that she had no memory of getting this license, as she is a recovering alcoholic and would have done so to purchase alcohol.
She went to her first court date, and requested a case management conference.
What should she do now?
Thank you for your time
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your sister's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Fraud against the state, forgery and false swearing are all significant crimes and can lead to large fines as well as jail or prison time. This is not a matter that your sister should be trying to defend against herself.
Being an alcoholic may have led her to commit these crimes, but that is in no way a legal defense of any of the potential charges that she faces.
Your sister needs to retain a local criminal defense attorney who can perhaps keep her out of jail and avoid a felony conviction here. It is foolish for your sister to be trying to handle this on her own.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a $255 fine. We are wondering what a Case Management Concerence will entail, the court date for that is tomorrow. What can be said in her defense if she is defending herself?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
The case management conference is simply an informal meeting when the judge can see that things in the case are moving toward finality and set ground rules for the rest of the case and set a trial date. Here is a link to more in-depth discussion of a case management conference: http://definitions.uslegal.com/c/case-management-conference/
Nothing can be said in her defense---and that is why she needs an attorney. Based on your facts, she is clearly guilty and this may be only the beginning. Admitting guilt here, or being convicted, could lead to more formal criminal charges that she must try and avoid.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug