LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

Just looking at the post. Going with my 18 year old son this

Customer Question

Just looking at the post. Going with my 18 year old son this afternoon for our court date for an onramp carpool lane violation. We'll see how it goes. This happens to be a ramp where the two lanes of traffic do not split into a 3rd carpool lane on the left. Instead the left lane of traffic simply becomes the carpool lane. It was bumper to bumper and he hadn't used the onramp before. By the time he realized he was now in a carpool lane, the right lane of traffic wouldn't let him merge and he was blocking traffic behind him. So he continued... and got the $481 ticket at the end of the ramp. He tried to explain and even asked advice if it ever happened again. Didn't matter.
So I'm heading out to take pics of a couple of normal "lane-split" onramps and then this onramp - hoping that will help to make the case. Not sure they'll even let me go up with him though, and he's a little too shy... so not sure how it will go.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good morning,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
While it is a great idea to get the contrasting photos of the onramps in the area to show that this onramp was confusing and did not allow your son to choose the correct lane to enter onto the freeway, thereby placing him in the dilemma he was presented with.
However, as your son is an adult, the court will not allow you to speak on his behalf. He will be able to use the photos in his defense though.
You don't say whether this is the first court date for this citation. If it is, he will be asked whether he wants to plead guilty or not guilty. If he wants a trial so that he can put on a defense, then he will need to plead not guilty and a trial date will be set for him in the future.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug