Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I was pulled over and ticketed for "FAILING TO STOP AT

Customer Question

I was pulled over and ticketed for "FAILING TO STOP AT PROPER PLACE AT A RAILROAD" in College Station, TX. I requested for defensive driving, and they gave me 90 days to complete it and turn it in. I forgot about having to do my defensive driving and just now realized that time is up. I was supposed to have turned in my defensive driving certificate by July 29, 2015, and it said that if I realized I was not going to be able to turn it in on time, that I am supposed to show up in court the Friday before July 29, 2015. I have missed both of those. Now I just need to know if I have a warrant for not showing up to court, and also, what I must do to take care of the "Railroad" ticket. When I requested for defensive driving, I paid $117.00, as a mandatory fee, which left my balance at $199.00. Do I just have to pay the other $199.00 and its over? Or is there more too it? Please get back to me ASAP. I'm super worried. Thanks so much.
-Syed
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Your case will likely now be set for what is called a Show Cause hearing, where in you will need to "show cause" why the judge shouldn't enter a final conviction. Under the law, the judge can give a maximum of 180 days to allow completion of a deferred disposition, so there's a chance if you go in with your completion certificate for the defensive driving that the judge will accept and allow your deferred to stand. However, the judge is well within his/her right to deny you this opportunity and just enter a judgment of conviction. Call the court to see when your case is set (or to set it) and see if the clerks will give you a better idea if this is possible with this particular judge. The worse that will happen is having to pay the remainder of the fine. I hope this has been helpful. If so, please provide positive feedback!