Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

After I made a deposit on a car, I went to pick it up and

Customer Question

After I made a deposit on a car, I went to pick it up and the odometer had 213 more miles on it. I asked about it at the time, but got no answer. Should I be concerned?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Was this a new car or used car purchase? Did the odometer statement already get signed by you and the dealer before the mileage was added?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used car. I sign a form indicating purchase price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It had the mileage and VIN.
Thank you for your reply.
It is not necessarily something you should worry about, BUT you should insist that because the mileage changed over 200 miles since you agreed to purchase that you want an independent inspection before finalizing any purchase (make them agree to allow your mechanic to inspect) and tell them that if they refuse to allow you the right to have it inspected, because 200 miles is a material difference in mileage other than what you agreed upon you are canceling the deal.
A reputable dealer will allow you to take it for an inspection or give you a 3 day right to return with full refund at the very least, a non-reputable dealer will not.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think they used it as a rental car or an employee used it in the week before I picked it up. I have signed the papers and now have possession of the car.
Thank you for your reply and for the additional information.
If you took the car already knowing the mileage was different, then you agreed to accept it as is. Unless you received a written warranty on the car, because you took it, you are now bound to the deal I am afraid.
Is there anything to worry about, typically no, especially if the dealer is reputable.