Sierra900
Sierra900, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced California Attorney
19551178

My 21 year old son had been driving hours straight and

Customer Question

My 21 year old son had been driving for 7 hours straight and was almost home and dozed off for a second and hit a vehicle in front of him which led his car to spin around. He was sent a letter today saying he needed a doctor's physical, needs to retake the written driver's test and do a driving test with an instructor or his license will be suspended. He has never been in an accident before or even had so much as a ticket. How does this one event justify suspending a person's license if he doesn't do all of these things?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 1 year ago.
Let me try and help.
First of all, I am not sure your question is so much of a legal one as a philosophical one. The reality is that your son failed to stop and rest such that he caused an accident. That could have been fatal to an innocent party. The state of Iowa has a vested interest in ensuring that your son is fit to drive. Part of this is verifying he did not fall asleep due to a medical reason.
In the end, his license is not being suspended. He is simply being asked to take a few steps to ensure his safety and the safety of those around him in light of the accident he caused.
His license will only be suspended if he refuses.
I hope this helps.
DCG