Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I live in indiana and got a dui in california in 2002 all fines

Customer Question

I live in indiana and got a dui in california in 2002 all fines and community service have been paid/completed i hired a lawyer and she had any failure to appear charges dismissed however i never completed the dui course
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my question would be due to the fact that all legal matters have been taken care of, will I be able to renew my license despite not having taken the dui course bear in mind this DUI was 13 yrs ago with no other issues driving or other wise
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, there is bad news on that. If CA has not received proof of completion of all of the parts of the DUI requirements, including the DUI class, you will not get CA to release the hold on your license even if it has been 20 years. Good news is you need to contact CA DMV (well contacting CA DMV is never a great experience, but...) and they will tell you what level class you need and you can now take the classes online and get that behind you. Once CA DMV gets proof of completion of the class they will issue the release on your license and you can seek a license in Indiana.
Unless CA releases your license, Indiana cannot issue a license to you by law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about a 1650
Thank you for your reply.
You can file the 1650 waiver packet, but I must say that we have had numerous customers do them and all have come back complaining they were denied when it was regarding the school, because they were told it could be done online, which is why I did not raise it to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I spoke with the DMV school in Kings county (which was the one assigned in the court documents and they said there is no online course I can take California will honor, so frustrated really want to handle this willling to do whatever it takes but I can not travel to California based on my job requirements
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my court documents it states I need to take a first time offender 4 month program
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it stated I had 180 days to complete it , which is a moot point obviously but I've already retaind a lawyer who appeared in court for me and had the probation violation and failure to appear dismissed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all other fees and communit;y service have been taken care of
Thank you for your reply.
If you have contacted the Kings County Court recently and they refuse to approve an online DUI class, then your only other recourse is to file the 1650 waiver and explain how you cannot return to CA and how the court will not approve an online course which is authorized by CA law. The other thing you can ask is for court approval of an Indiana approved class. These are your only other recourses in this matter.