Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

Brought a used vehicle on July 14th seller said needed a throttle

Customer Question

brought a used vehicle on July 14th seller said needed a throttle body which he would repair... a week later the transmission went out... paid 2500 still owe 500 is there any thing I can do
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under GA law, used vehicle sales are considered as is, unless you got a written warranty to the contrary. If he disclosed the throttle and has repaired it and he did not know about the transmission at the time of the sale, that risk is on you as the buyer. The seller is liable to repair only what they knew of at the time of the sale and the courts hold that used cars break from wear and tear and without a warranty the buyer and not the seller bears that risk unless the seller misrepresents the condition and knew of the defect prior to the sale.
Thus, I am afraid if the transmission issue was not known by the seller at the time of the sale, you are liable for the repair of the transmission and not the seller.