Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

I have 3 surchargeable events in 2 years and I just received

Customer Question

I have 3 surchargeable events in 2 years and I just received another speeding ticket will I lose my license?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
The RMV will mail you a notice that you have 90 days to take an online course and avoid license suspension. This is true even though you would have taken the course when the last surchargeable offense hit your record. As long as you take the course, they will not suspend your license for having a fourth event.
If you have 5 surchargable events within the past 3 years, you have to take the course in person. The online course won't be available. Again, they mail you a notice that you'll be suspended if you don't take the course, and you get 90 days to do it.
Should you ever hit 7 surchargeable offenses within a 3 year period, then there's an automatic suspension for 60 days. There's no way to avoid that suspension, and there would be a $100 reinstatement fee. Note also that if you have 12 or more moving violations within the past 5 years, the state can seek to suspend your license as a habitual traffic offender for 4 years. It doesn't sound like you're close to either of those, but it's good to be aware of the laws.
It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Thank you.