Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a judgement against me in Volusia county accident.

Customer Question

I have a judgement against me in Volusia county for car accident. filed 03-2006. it wasn't renewed. I want it off to get my license cleared. Lady @ clerks office said it stays on for 10 years. Im confused
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The law clerk is actually incorrect in that a judgment entered by the court is valid for 20 years (Yes, TWENTY YEARS) unless it is renewed, so technically if the other party renews the judgment it can remain on your license longer. See: Florida Statute 55.081 which clearly states that judgments are good for 20 years.
I am afraid that the only way to get the lien against your license cleared is to wait for them to fail to renew the lien/judgment or you have to file in court to try to vacate the judgment or you have to pay the judgment. Those are really your only 3 options available to you to clear your license.
I do not know what you are confused about though except that you may have looked at the old law and the clerk is using old law as well. Legally, if the judgment was entered in 2006, you have to wait 20 years for it to no longer be valid (it used to be 7 years, but the law changed and I gave you the statute above). I am afraid that when someone is in an accident and is responsible for damages, they are expected to pay and the state will not simply release the lien.