Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues
72294118

I recently insured a friend under my car insurance. He told

Customer Question

I recently insured a friend under my car insurance. He told me to make sure it had collision on it. He gets in a car accident and told me he purposely did it..he has been charged with careless and driving without a licensed driver on a*****He told me he was a full g license and I come to find out after the fact that he is a g1 driver as he had his license taken away for 7 years due to a DUI. I cancelled the insurance on the car as he never gave me money towards the insurance as promised. I was also told by my insurance company since the ownership is in his name and not mine the insurance should not have been issued in the first place. He is now saying we had an ongoing agreement with the ownership. He owed me 1000.00 for lawyer fees a few months ago..he told me I could use his car as collateral if he could not pay the 1000.00 back. He said I'm not signing the ownership over to you as that's my last piece of dignity.. he paid the 1000.00 to me as promised. He now owes me 900.00 and is saying the ownership is mine when it never was...can he do this?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Tower Grove Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your question. My goal is to provide you with excellent legal service.Your friend probably cannot legally do what he is trying to do. The problem for you is recovering the $900.00 that your friend owes you. If he refuses to pay, your last resort would be to file a lawsuit against your friend. If that happens, the judge will listen to both sides and decide whether you or your friend is in the right. I have tried many cases like this and, in my experience, judges tend to rule based upon whether or not they believe each person. If the judge believes you instead of your friend, you will win.Additionally, the ownership of a vehicle will be decided by whose name is ***** ***** title. It's unclear from your question whether your name or your friend's name is ***** ***** title. But if your friend's name is ***** ***** title, it is his car. If your name is ***** ***** title, it's your car.Please let me know if I can clarify anything.