Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

When the dealer sold me the car he did not tell me that the

Customer Question

when the dealer sold me the car he did not tell me that the title was reconstructed. he also gave me a warranty for full coverage. he had fixed a few things, charged me deductables even after the 60 days. now that I need a new engine he wont fix it. because I cant find my paper work he has the upper hand. he is also refusing to give me additional copies of the paper work. I have only had the car for 8 months
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.What is your legal question about the situation you have described?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
since he did not tell me that the title was reconstructed and he continues to refuse to give me my paperwork can the sale be cancelled?
Thank you for your follow up.When did you receive the title for the vehicle and did the title state that the vehicle was a "rebuild"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't receive the title because I took out a bank loan so the bank has the title.
Thank you for your follow up.When and how did you find out that the title was for a rebuild vehicle?Do you have a copy of your bill of sale and does it state that the vehicle has a rebuild title?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we recently found out and it says nothing in the bill of sale about the title being reconstructed and no paper indicated that he made us aware of the reconstructed title for flood damage
How did you find out that the title is for a rebuild vehicle?Did the dealer do any repairs after you discovered that the title was for a rebuild vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was looking for cheaper insurance and one place denied me and said it was because of the reconstructed title the car had. I didn't care because I thought I had a bumper to bumper "warranty". I had the ac compressor fixed 3 separate times but againi didn't care because i had full coverage and he kept fixing it for either 0-100. he had fixed the car both during and after the fist 60 day warranty.
Do you have a written warranty that states that the vehicle is covered from bumper to bumper?Have you seen a copy of the title that stated it was rebuild?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I don't have a written warranty and I never seen the title that stated rebuild
Thank you for your follow up.Generally, the dealer is legally obligated to provide a written disclosure to the buyer that the vehicle has a rebuild title due to flood.If the dealer failed to provide such written disclosure, then generally, the first step would be to obtain a written copy of the "rebuild" title and file complaint with the Attorney General Office against the dealer and if the AG Office fails to resolve the dispute, then generally a lawsuit can be filed against the dealer based on fraud and misrepresentation.It is also a good idea to consult and hire an experienced local consumer protection law attorney to write a letter to the dealer regarding the issue once the copy of the rebuild title is obtained and in the letter, the lawyer can demand to rescind the transaction based on fraud and letting dealer know that if the transaction is not rescinded, that legal action would be pursued.I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.Thank you.