Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

I recently bought a 2005 Audi TT Coupe from a used car dealer,

Customer Question

I recently bought a 2005 Audi TT Coupe from a used car dealer, on the 170 pt inspection it stated that the tires were worn and should be replaced. 11 days and 700 miles after I received the car the drivers side front tire had a blow out. The blow out was caused by the car being misaligned (not wrecked or curbed but an incorrect alignment), it has a serious negative camber and is toed out, the road basically shredded the tires on the front. The dealership is telling me that it is not their problem. Is there anything I can do to make them pay for a proper alignment and new tires?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. The answer is likely not favorable but please allow me to check a few points. First, was this an Audi authorized dealer or a third party dealer? What exactly was the warranty under which this vehicle was purchased, or was it purchased 'as is'? Did the dealer do the alignment, or they did not do any work on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is an Audi authorized dealer, it was purchased as is and no they did not do the alignment. They did other work on the vehicle that they messed up on.
That is helpful. In this case, and especially because Audi considers itself to be more upscale (I happen to drive one myself), contact corporate if the dealer is refusing to take ownership. I suspect that part of that 170 point plan is to review tires...so if they alleged and claimed that the tires were valid and they were not, you can demand that the cover replacement. But realistically what governs is the warranty, so if you purchased it 'as is' or tires are not expressly covered, the dealer is not automatically on the hook if they end up blowing out and it was not due to their actions (if they did not do the work, they cannot be held liable especially if they had no idea that the vehicle had alignment problems). But because it is a dealer, and such review is generally reasonable, that is where you can pursue them, and again, pursue via corporate as this appears to be a poor inspection of a 'certified' car. Sincerely, ***** *****