Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

So I bought a car on the 25th of june and last Saturday

Customer Question

Hi. So I bought a car on the 25th of june and last Saturday it broke down. It is the transmission. I had a 60 day 1000 mile warrenty but I went over a little bit on the mileage. I haven't even had it long enough to take it to deq. Now they are saying I have to pay. Is there anything I could do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. I am sorry to hear that you find yourself in this situation. Is it safe to assume that you purchased that vehicle 'used' and also 'as is' other than this 60 day 1000 mile warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
The answer I will provide will not be favorable so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. It appears that once the warranty expired you generally have no recourse because they are only required to provide protection up to the length of time for the warranty period and scope. About the only argument is if you can take this to a different mechanic, find out that this was a 'latent' defect which they knew of and failed to disclose, and use that as a basis to seek repairs or argue fraud. but if this wasn't known and couldn't have been reasonably known by the seller, this is fully your own responsibility. I am very sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even if the vehicle wouldn't pass deq?
If it could pass it when you purchased it, then at the time it was fit for use. If it cannot pass it now, after you used it, they are no longer responsible unless they knew of that defect and failed to disclose it. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So it is not covered by the lemon law even though i didnt neglect or alter it?
Oregon law does not cover used cars under 'lemon laws'. Lemon law almost always covers new vehicles, not used. What governs there is the warranty and the terms, so if the warranty ran out, then I am afraid that you are then on your own. I am sorry! Sincerely, ***** *****