Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a SC drivers' license, but I now live in GA. I got

Customer Question

I have a SC drivers' license, but I now live in GA. I got a DUI here in GA, but I need a restricted drivers' license for Georgia. What can I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. I am afraid that this is not going to be possible. The problem is SC has to release the suspension or hold on your license before GA can issue anything. SC will not release the hold and they cannot issue a restricted license to you out of state. So you are in a catch 22 and would have to wait until the suspension in SC has expired, then you would have to apply to SC to get reinstated with their restrictions and have those restrictions transferred to GA whereby then you can go to GA DMV to have them issue the license with the restrictions. So in order to get the GA license, you need to get SC to reinstate your SC license. Then from there you can apply in GA for the license.