CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

My insurance coverage lapsed due to nonpayment. License plate

Customer Question

My insurance coverage lapsed due to nonpayment. License plate suspended. My sticker has now expired. I live in IL. My drivers license are current until 2016. I want to get the car legal to drive...what are the steps to take?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.
Suspension and ReinstatementThe license plates of first time offenders are suspended until a $100 reinstatement fee and current evidence of insurance are provided. Repeat offenders are required to serve a four-month suspension period, pay the $100 reinstatement fee and provide current evidence of insurance before being eligible for reinstatement.While the license plates are suspended no one may operate your vehicle; however, you may operate other vehicles that are insured.To process the reinstatement, you may visit one of the Secretary of State facilities: Bloomington, Carbondale, Champaign, Chicago Central, Chicago North, Chicago South, Chicago West, Decatur, Granite City, Joliet, Libertyville, Lombard, Moline/Silvis, Naperville, Quincy, Peoria, Rockford, Springfield, Tilton, Waukegan and Woodstock.If you are unable to visit one of the facilities, the reinstatement may be processed by mailing the fee and evidence of insurance to:Office of the Secretary of StateMandatory Insurance Division501 S. 2nd St., Rm. 429Springfield, Illinois###-##-####http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/vehicles/mandatory_insurance.html