Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I received a ticket in NC. The court date was changed and I

Customer Question

I received a ticket in NC. The court date was changed and I spoke with a ADA about having the ticket dropped because I was moving across the country before the court date. She said they would take car of it and not to worry. Found out last year my license has been suspended for failure to appear. The original court date was in 2011. I now live in Utah. What can I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, at this point all you can do is file a motion to vacate judgment in the traffic court in NC. Because you are on the other side of the country, this means paying an attorney to file in NC for you. You will need to somehow prove the ADA took the citation and said they would process it, by a witness or the ADA admitting to it. In many of these cases though, the attorney should be able to get the conviction vacated and dismissed completely (If they cannot get it completely dismissed, they will at least be able to get a "prayer for judgment continued" which in NC means you pay the fine and no report to DMV is made so it would come off your license and the suspension would be removed), but it is going to have to go before the court before your suspension on your license will be released.