Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

I purchased an used 2002 Maserati Spyder from the Auto

Customer Question

Hello, I purchased an used 2002 Maserati Spyder from the Auto Cave in Dallas, but the title is from Oklahoma. My location is Oregon. The car broke down when I received it and it would cost $4000+ to fix it. I have a dated condition report to prove it broke down immediately. Then I asked the dealer to take the car back, but their employee cheated on me at first and asked me to send the signed documents back to them, or I would not be able to return it or speak to their boss. I still have the text record. Then the employee evaporated after I sent the documents back. Several weeks later I called them and their boss picked up. He said the employee was gone already and refused to tell me the reason. Also, he said he was not responsible for it because I did not purchase any warranty. He also said that the dmv would not help anything with it as you would only send someone to his store and check out the process. I'm wondering if this is true? And what can I do now?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.
Did you purchase this vehicle without any written warranty in "as is" condition?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't purchase any warranty, but I'm not sure what does "as is" mean? I asked another auto dealer from Oregon and he said it's still their problem if I bought it sight unseen and it's not drivable. He also suggested me to contact an attorney general other than dmv. Would it help?
Thank you for your follow up. Unfortunately, if a used vehicle is purchases without any written warranty, it is considered to be purchased in "as is" condition and the buyer is responsible to inspect the vehicle prior to the purchase and also the buyer would be responsible for any repairs once the vehicle is purchased, unless there are some clear evidence that the dealer has engaged in some type of fraud or material misrepresentation to entice the buyer to purchase the vehicle.So, if the dealer in fact engaged in some type of fraud or material misrepresentation and the buyer has evidence that can be presented of such deceitful business practices, then a formal complaint can be filed against an auto dealer with the Texas DMV and their contact information is at the link below:http://www.txdmv.gov/contact-us Also, a private local attorney can be consulted to evaluate the situation for potential legal recourse against the dealer, if the dealer engaged in deceitful business practice.You can find an experienced and skilled local consumer protection law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:www.lexmundi.comwww.martindale.comwww.lawyers.comwww.legalmatch.comWhen, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to consumer protection law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So what about the fact that his employee cheated on me? Would it help with anything?
Thank you for your follow up.Generally, such facts could be brought in if a lawsuit is filed and the court will review the facts to determine its relevance to any fraud or material misrepresentation claims. I wish you the best of luck!
Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.