CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

I received a speeding ticket in Brazoria county Texas, for

Customer Question

I received a speeding ticket in Brazoria county Texas, for 56mph in a 35mph zone in a non commercial vehicle. I have no moving violations on my record and also have a CDL. What can I do to get this reduced or eliminated to keep my record clean and insurance from going up?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. With the CDL, you certainly do not want to have this on your record and unless you can get a plea deal from the court on your own, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent you. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no prior moving violations on my record. Does Texas have a prayer of judgment? where the dismiss the citation as long as you don't receive another moving violation within a certain period of time?
Thank you for the reply. They may have something similar but you would need to inquire about it, when you go before the Judge. NC has that but it may not be an option in Texas. The fact that you have a clean records is a mitigating factor BUT would not just result in the case being dismissed.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you happen to know a good traffic ticket defense attorney in this area. Pearland Texas, Alvin Texas, or Manvel Texas?
Good morning. The site does not allow us to give out referrals, so I am not able to provide you with names. However, you can go to www.lawyers.com or www.martindale.com to find attorneys in that county and speak with them and get prices. Thank you again and best of luck defending this. At this time, I kindly ask that you rate my help, so I can get credit. After rating me, if you still need to ask follow up questions related to this, you can and I would be happy to respond.
Is there anything else I can help or clarify?