Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My Father in Colorado is are giving a vehicle to his son in

Customer Question

My Father in Colorado is are giving a vehicle to his son in Virginia. Is there anything he needs to do either on the title or seperate notorized form that needs to go with him when he registers it in Virginia? Would he need to do a vin verification in Colorado? Or in Virginia. Also on the title should he enter "GIFT" or  just "0 dollars for the purchase price"?cancel this question as it is to late .....needed answer right away.

Sorry

Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You do not need a VIN verification in CO if he has the title to sign over to his son. Also the bill of sale would indicate that the vehicle is a gift to the buyer. Both parties sign the bill of sale. You need the bill of sale and the title from CO to bring to DMV. You would put "Gift/Donation" on the title.