Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

Can I get my smog check done out of state to renew my license.

Customer Question

Can I get my smog check done out of state to renew my license. I am visiting Washington state for the summer, but my renewal is due in 4-6 weeks, and the smog check is due.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid CA does not take any out of state Smog check. CA will allow you to apply for the renewal by filing a Statement of Facts form (Reg 256) or Temporary Smog Exemption (Reg 5103) with the DMV. You can file either form and they will issue the renewal and when you return to CA you have to get the smog test done and submit proof to DMV. See:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/dmv/forms/formsreg_numeric