Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Experienced Attorney/former law enforcement officer
26296561

I bought a used/as is, no warranty car today from a dealership

Customer Question

I bought a used/as is, no warranty car today from a dealership that I financed through my credit union. After driving it home I started to realize how much is wrong with it and feel like I've made a horrible decision, is there a law for the dealership to refund me?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to answer your question.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Unfortunately, if the vehicle is sold in "as is" condition without any written warranty, then the sale would be final, unless the consumer / buyer can prove by clear evidence that the dealer or its employees engaged in some type of fraud or material misrepresentation to entice the sale.
I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.
I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So if they said it passed safety but a tire is clearly bald and wouldn't pass count?
Thank you for your follow up.
Did the vehicle pass safety inspection?
Do you have anything in writing stating that the vehicle passed safety inspection?
Did you inspect this used vehicle before you purchased it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said it did but a tire on clearly is past wear bar, no they didn't show any paper work of it passing. I tried to get them to replace it but they wouldn't, i pointed out a number of things on the car but the sells man assured that everything was good and solid which it is not.
Thank you for your follow up.
Unfortunately, generally, unless there is some type actual evidence related to fraud or material representation (not just verbal statements, which would be impossible to prove), there would generally be no legal recourse to return the vehicle or to have the dealer pay for the repairs, as buyers should always beware and to have any used vehicle that is sold in "As Is" condition properly inspected by an independent mechanic prior to purchase.
Do you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.