Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I have a ticket and of drug paraphernalia

Customer Question

I have a ticket for speeding and for possession of drug paraphernalia and marijuana over 1 oz. The officer said I did not have to appear in court, but the ticket says that I have an appointment on 7/16/15 at 11am. I live in MN. Do I need to appear in court or can I call in? What is the best option for me?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
The officer likely meant that you could make arrangements not to have to appear because you're out of state. But if there's a date on your ticket, then you are expected to be there and a warrant will issue for your arrest if you are not.
Call the court where you are scheduled to appear and ask to speak to the court clerk. Let him know you're in Minnesota and tell him that the officer said you didn't have to appear. Ask if that's accurate. If he tells you that you must appear, then you will either have to show up or retain a Nebraska criminal lawyer to appear in your place and to resolve this matter without you if at all possible.