Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own practice.
18572087

My daughter rear-ended another driver and her liability insurance

Customer Question

My daughter rear-ended another driver and her liability insurance had lapsed. The police officer did not give her a citation for driving without insurance, he only ticketed her for following too close. She went to court, paid her fine and agreed to reimburse the man she hit the $250 deductible he had to pay his insurance company, which she did. Now the man's insurance company is calling my daughter and demanding she pay for the repairs of the car she hit $2000 or they will petition the Staate of Georgia to suspend her drivers license and suspend the her car registration. Can they do that?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
I am afraid that they can indeed do that. Ultimately if your daughter was at fault she is responsible to cover ALL his costs, which includes what his insurance company ended up paying out on his behalf. Therefore, since there is a balance due based on the damages, they can threaten to claim that this is an outstanding debt and through it seek a suspension of her driving privileges unless and until she pays the debt owed. I am sorry about that, but they are acting properly under law.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.