Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I got a speeding ticket in Elizabeth , N.J on the Turnpike

Customer Question

I got a speeding ticket in Elizabeth , N.J on the Turnpike doing 81 in a 55 zone . If I pay for the ticket can I beat the points ?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
Paying the ticket is an admission of guilt. Speeding this far over the limit in New Jersey is a 4 point offense. If you pay the fine and are eligible to go to traffic school, you can get 2 of those points removed.
You are not eligible if you've taken the course and had points removed within 5 years. And the points already have to be on your record when you take the course.
If you are not eligible for traffic school, then you cannot beat the points by paying the ticket. YOu would have to plead not guilty and go to court and try to either win the case at trial or negotiate a reduction in the charges so that you can face fewer points.
Either way, with traffic matters the state does not have to prove you guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, because it's not a criminal proceeding. They have to prove it just by a preponderance (the majority) of the evidence. That means will come down to your word versus the arresting officer's and the deck is heavily stacked in favor of the state if the officer shows up. If you want to fight the case, you should plan on showing up with a traffic lawyer.