Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

I have a friend who got a ticket about 8 years ago

Customer Question

I have a friend who got a ticket about 8 years ago for doing 35 in a 25 mil area. She forgot about the ticket and has been unemployed largely and constantly moved around living with friends over the lat 7 years so never received any notices (since they probably had no address for her).. My question is, can she pay the ticket in installments now. She went to the DMV to renew her DL and found out about the outstanding ticket and couldn't get her new DL. She has a new job but it requires she have her DL. She has no $$ bc she has been unemployed and needs to be able to pay it in installments.. The ticket was received in Universal City, TX. What options does she have lacking the DL will keep her from being able to work, which will create a circular problem of her being unable to pay the ticket. She has no credit, except bad credit so can't get a loan to pay it. It is approximately $800.. Please let me know as soon as possible. Thank you
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced criminal lawyer.
She can go to the DMV and see if they will knock off some late fines and penalties so that she only has to pay the original fine. In my experience, the DMV can do that, and they will also set her a payment schedule for the rest. But she will not be able to get a new license anywhere until she has finished paying off her ticket.
I understand that this is not what you want to hear, and I understand the fact that this puts your friend in the middle of a vicious circle. It is, however, the law, I'd ask you to kindly refrain from shooting the issener.