Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
26798026

My neighbor across the street has a driveway that that is catty

Customer Question

My neighbor across the street has a driveway that that is catty corner to mine. I looked both ways and behind me backing out of my driveway. I was already in the road when i heard and felt a bump, at first i thought i hit brushed against the curb until i saw my neighbor in my rear view mirror. My neighbor was only half way out of his driveway claiming i had backed into him. I only had minor paint scratches and transfer on my passenger side rear bumper. His car has a basketball size dent on his drivers side bumper. Who would be at fault?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Because you were both backing up, you're both partially at fault. This is true even if you started backing up first, unless your neighbor hadn't even begun to back up until you were in the street (because in that case, it was impossible to avoid the accident). You're both expected to continue looking around while backing up and stop (or alert the other driver) if someone enters your path.
"Partially at fault" doesn't necessarily mean 50/50. Pictures of the damage can help establish where you were located when your neighbor hit you. It might also help to take pictures of the driveway to show where each of you were when the bump occurred.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.