CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  9 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

My son has a speeding ticket with is 26 miles over the posted

Customer Question

my son has a speeding ticket with is 26 miles over the posted limit. He is 18 years old. How can I get this to be below 24 miles over?
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In Georgia speeding 24 miles over the limit for a 17 year old may cause suspension of license. Can we take a course or plea it down to less than 24 if he was going 26 over the limit?? It is his first ticket of any kind.
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The ticket would need to be amended by court action and this would be as a result of a plea deal or diversion type program offered by the court. At 18 years old, your son would need to represent himself in the action or you can retain a traffic ticket attorney on his behalf. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in his best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation against him. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My son is 17 years old. We have been told to enter a driving training course prior to the hearing, in order to get the offense pleaded down? Should we do this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Who advised you of this?