Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

My license has been suspended in the state of Connecticut (a

Customer Question

My license has been suspended in the state of Connecticut (a state I've never lived or driven in) due to a ticket someone with a name similar to mine received in new york (another state I've never driven or lived) in 2008. I spoke with one attorney in New York and he advised I plead guilty and pay the ticket. I would prefer not to pay the ticket and have it on my spotless driving record. If I were to do this would I still have to pay Connecticut to remove the hold on my license and would a seat belt ticket have an effect on my insurance/driving record?
I recently moved to South Carolina and discovered this while trying to transfer my license.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced NYS criminal lawyer.
The easiest and quickest way to get a license is to plead guilty and pay the ticket. In New York, a seat belt offense has no points, so it should not cause your insurance rates to increase. It is not a crime; it is only a traffic infration. It would, however, appear on your drivers record but not on your criminal record.
If the offense was a misdemeanor, you could go to the New York prosecutor's office and try to obtain an official letter from him or her that you were not the person who got the NYS traffic ticket. You could the take that letter to the NYS DMV and clear your NYS obligation so that CT would release its hold (yes, you'd have to deal with the DMV in CT to get your driving privileges restored) and then you could show South Carolina that you have no outstanding requirements in either New York or Connecticut.
The DA would be able to verify that based on the fact that fingerprints and the photo on the arrest papers wouldn't match yours. Unfortunately, with a traffic ticket, there would be no arrest or fingerprint information and no way of conclusively proving that you were not the person that got the ticket.
You'd likely end up spending a great deal of money and effort and only end up with frustration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I pay the new york ticket will I also have to pay the $175 to clear everything with the Conneticuit DMV? That's their fee if I send them the NY form showing it's been paid
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. I was taking a dinner break.
Yes, you will. Like it or not you've got three states involved here and they all want their revenue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are all the steps I would have to take to clear it without pleading guilty. I likely have credit card charges from Michigan on that date. I've contacted my banks and am waiting for old statements to come in the mail.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 year ago.
You'd need to get a copy of your Connecticut driving abstract and then you would have to contact the CT DMV and alert then to an error on your record.
(###) ###-####