Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

My son will be 20 years old this month, and he unfortunately

Customer Question

My son will be 20 years old this month, and he unfortunately is under Illinois Court Supervision for a speeding ticket. Last week (while under court supervision), he was caught speeding again by Indiana Police. He was speeding 10 over in a work zone. I have heard we should just pay this Indiana driving ticket, and there's no way to keep it off his driving record. How much trouble will he be in at his next Illinois court date? The Illinois court date is this November. Any advice you can provide would be appreciated!
Category: Traffic Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also please advise, should we pay the Indiana driving ticket or are there other options?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You should NOT just pay the Indiana citation, as most all times when a defendant goes to court and pleads not guilty, they will get to meet with the prosecutor to negotiate a deal at least. Many times the prosecutor will give a reduction in speed or even reduce the citation to a non-moving violation or give him another deferred sentence and dismiss if he does not get another ticket in Indiana in 6 months.
Typically, IL will not see or know about this new ticket yet, because it does not go onto his record until he pays or pleads guilty in Indiana, so if he makes a deal in IN for a deferred sentence or they reduce it to a non-moving violation, nothing will happen with the IL ticket. If he does nothing AND if the Indiana ticket is paid it goes on his record and IL will see it on his record and they will not dismiss the IL ticket pursuant to the deal there and he would then have 2 tickets on his record.
So, I would suggest spending the couple of hundred dollars to get him an attorney to go to court in Indiana and get this ticket reduced and/or dismissed, as it will be worth it for his insurance rates as well and in 99% of the cases they can do so, because speeding in a construction zone can be a minimum $300 fine in Indiana.